Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Marathon, Ontario Project

Have you stumbled upon this blog by accident, or curiosity? Regardless of your reasons, allow me to welcome you to the Marathon, Ontario Project I've started. If you're confused by what's going on, read below for an explanation of the project:

Marathon, Ontario Project is a project story I've started from a variety of influences in my recent past. It is a fictional story based on the entire industrial collapse of the world, and a move towards a self-sufficient community - told from 20 years after the collapse itself.

However, unlike a conventional story, I've decided to focus the story around a small town in Northern Ontario called Marathon, which is a real town near Thunder Bay. I've always had a fascination with this town; I'm not sure why, exactly, since I've never been there. This summer I plan to visit it for awhile, depending on how this project develops.

The story will focus on the townsfolk in Marathon, with the structure being broken down into a collection of short stories told from the perspective of different people. Unlike a conventional story, that focuses on the actions of only a few members, I hope to create an expansive vision of the 'past' and the town itself without ever giving the "voice of god" narration.

I will be using as much factual research as possible; despite the story being fictional, I want the physical characteristics of the world to be as close to reality as possible.

I highly encourage any comments, criticisms, or fact-checking on each chapter. I'm not a professional writer by any means; in fact, I'm just a film student who's wrote three screenplays.

That's the outline of the project itself - from there, we will see how this project evolves. Happy reading!

-Mark, Author

PS: Click here for a satellite view of Marathon, ON
Map view of Marathon
Marathon town site

No comments: